Glasgow Zoo (Calderpark Zoo)
Location of park
Video of Bear Pit at zoo
Glasgow Zoo, or Calderpark Zoo as it was also known, was opened in 1947 on the former Calderpark Estate. It was run by the Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland, which was formed in 1936.
The Calderpark Estate was created by James McNair, a wealthy Glasgow Sugar Refiner who built his home there around 1815. The Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland took an option to purchase the estate in 1939.
Due to financial problems the zoo closed in 2003.
More photographs can be found HERE